25 June 2008

Gordon Must Go - For the sake of the Left.

I've come to my conclusions, even though I have been thinking it for
the last few months, particularly since the local elections in May and
furthermore since the whole 42 day debacle.

Gordon Brown must relinquish the Labour Leadership.

It's words that a year ago I feared I would have to write. He was a
excellent chancellor, let me put that on record. However, sorting out
the nations finances is one thing - running the country as a whole
entity is another thing altogether. The worrying thought is that I
struggle to think of anyone with the political clout and the support
in the country who could make a difference to Labour's fortunes right
now.

People suggest David Milliband as a potential leader. That might go
down well in Westminister, but there is something not right about
him. Too much of a Blairite for my liking. Too right-wing for me, or
I suspect for the grass-roots. Might be a idea to leave that option
till after the inevitable whitewash of electoral defeat in 2010 or
before if we're lucky.

That's the thing. If we were to elect a new leader before then, we
are then in a position where we would have to go to the electorate
otherwise we would look no better than a banana regime.

Perhaps getting rid of Gordon is the best thing we could do.

If we as a movement want to move on, we need to get the general
election done with as soon as possible.

Then we can start rebuilding, even if that means in opposition.

Rob :)

No comments: