28 July 2008

The Point Of It

Afternoon,

Well after a weekend of lounging around doing sweet fuck all, apart from the gum for about a hour or so, I trooped to the gym, arriving there just after 7am, with the usual hardy souls already going through their paces. The majority of them are pensioners doing their daily routine.

And there comes the point. Because it is routine, they don't see it as a chore like I do right now. Why is it that more and more youngsters are getting obese, it is because they see exercise as much a chore as tidying their bedroom up or washing the dishes. Physical education is deemed less important nowadays than it once was. Perhaps that is a direct consequence of schools and governments needing better exam results.

Why is it that if you come from what is classed as the lowest 10% in the country, you are more likely to be obese than not? Surely it cannot be coincidental that those who are more likely to be obese and poorer in health terms, come from the areas which are ridden with crime, hence making it more likely that they are going to cooped up indoors with the Playstation.

So you'll be asking what is my excuse.

I went to a private school, where I was actively encouraged to play rugby (represented the town, that the school was), played football in the winter, played cricket in the summer, and went mountain biking at least once a month during the weekend. Of course it helped being on the Isle of Wight, where crime is next to non-existent, where you felt safe and secure.

The weight piled for a number of reasons, some I wish not to discuss for personal reasons. Depression played a active part. I had been on Prozac on and off, for my last year at school and that continued after I left school and particularly after my parents split up for again reasons which I won't get into, although back then they said it was for financial reasons...

Depression and the tablets that the quacks give you for it does some shitty things with your body, one of which is, like dope it makes you hungry and that is what happened in my case.

I do wonder what would have happened if none of the above had happened to me, and thinking about it makes me more determined to get back to my normal, healthy weight before too long.

It's been too long...



Posted with LifeCast

No comments: