15 February 2009

Was I Right? I Think I Was...

Afternoon,

I alluded to something in my earlier post, that I saw something yesterday which I was somewhat not surprised about, however the image of it is still in my thoughts as I write this.

As I went to the local toilets in Deepest Canterbury just behind the main drag in the city, I first saw what seemed to be some sort of exchanging of substances, probably Coke or Dope. A early Saturday evening scene, which happens up and down the country. Not surprising.

As I went into the loo, I was struck by a man sticking a needle into the bottom of his spine, it looked like it was Heroin. Instantly, the bloke apologised that I had to witness something like that, almost like he was expecting me to report him to the Old Bill.

At the time, I told him it was not a problem and that he shouldn't worry about any fall out.

He went onto explain the circumstances behind his current state of mind. Being in London earlier that day, I had already seen some people sleeping rough but sadly you have to expect that there. Still it was an image that is forcing me to question whether my extremely liberal stance on drugs.

I will be honest here, I have smoked Dope, the last time about a year ago, this weekend to be precise and the main reason why I did was to experiment. For the record, it is something that I am not proud off and I do not intend to take it in the future.

However, the way that people go down on that slippery road from smoking weed and sniffing the odd line to injecting yourself with Heroin and being completely reliant on your twice-daily hit is bloody scary.

The real question that truly needs to be asked is whether or not I was right to not have done nothing. Should I have contacted the police and hope that they would have given the poor bigger help, or was I right to have left him to get on with the self-destruction of himself.

I did the latter, on the premise that the police would not have taken a dim view at all. In fact I believe that they would have taken quite the opposite view and nailed him, which is not what is needed in this case.

I do hope the police read this and assures me that they would have taken the humane route and not the Thatcherite method of Punish, Punish, Punish.

Rob :(

No comments: