26 December 2008

Back To Reality...

Evening, all.

Folkestone Seafront at 08.04am on 26/12/08.  Lovely is it not!First things first, a picture that I would like to share with you all.  This picture was taken just after 8am this morning up on The Leas here in Folkestone, I just thought I would take this picture as a symbol that in these hard times that the world is going through, that there are some things of natural beauty. 

Meanwhile back on Planet Earth, the January Sales started in earnest this morning. In the case of myself, I was outside Debenhams here in Folkestone at 7am, to see if I could pick up any decent deals.  For the record, I did.  I was able to find this very nice Dolce & Gabbana watch reduced by 50%.  And it looks stunning, as you can see down below!

My New Watch.  Very Nice Isn't It!However, I did not pick up further deals.  I am the sort of person who is fussy what he gets himself in the January Sales.  If I want something and I know I can get it that extra bit cheaper then I will do.  I have also resorted to getting a pre-paid Debit Card that I can use online, as I also find that you can certain things, such as clothes that extra bit cheaper.  I intend to go onto one such retailer as soon as this blog is done tonight.

And the sales need to go very well, as sales for many retailers pre-Christmas were described as poor by The British Retail Consortium. 

Stephen Robertson, BRC director general, said: "We'll see the full December figures in a few weeks, but they won't be pretty. "Discounts and promotions on a scale unprecedented for the run-up to Christmas, combined with weak sales, have put margins under severe pressure. "The government must recognise that every extra tax and regulation has an impact on prices, under-pressure customers and retailers."

Research by PricewaterhouseCoopers suggested that 82% of high street retailers offered either sales or promotions in the run up to Christmas.

My sister prediction that we might see another chain as big as Woolworths going down the toilet might not be as far fetched as I thought.

What it will mean however is that shopaholics like myself will be in heaven this Sale Season.

Rob ;)

No comments: